Some of the basics & benefits of yogurt:
- If you want to avoid high sugar content just go with plain! Even the plain varieties naturally have 12 g of sugar. The sweetened have up to 35 g!
- Greek yogurt, which is much thicker, can contain up to twice the protein of a non-Greek brand, but it has less calcium.
- Yogurt contains probiotics, which is healthy bacteria. Probiotics are linked with a healthy digestive system and a stronger immune systems.
- Do not drain out that top watery layer! That liquid is pure protein (specifically whey protein).
- Some of my favorite additions to plain yogurt: a drizzle of honey (a prebiotic which encourages the activity of probiotics), walnuts, fresh berries, sliced banana, and wheat germ.
- Since yogurt has probiotics, a lot of people that are lactose intolerant do not have issues with consuming it!
Here are some coupons & discounts from one of my favorite brands: Stonyfield Farm