I recently discovered Odacité, a skincare line that not only uses high quality organic ingredients, but their products are also freshly made and dated! Pretty awesome. Also awesome – Monika Peters, Odacité esthetician and skin coach, was kind enough to provide me with some very easy and natural ways to address a very common problem – puffy eyes. She told me that puffiness under the eyes appears for a number of reasons including lack of sleep, a high salt diet, hormone fluctuation, inflammation, fatigue, dehydration, and/or genetics.
Monika’s DIY Tips:
- Organic green, white or rooibos tea reduce puffiness and rejuvenate the eyes by refreshing them. I like to freeze green tea water to make ice cubes. Keep these ice cubes on the eyes in a cotton cloth for 20 minutes.
- Potato and cucumber juice also work wonders. Apply with a cotton ball around the eyes. If you can’t juice them: lie down, close your eyes, and apply cold cucumber or potato slices to your lids. Leave on for ten minutes and remove. Wash the area with cold water. This soothes tired eyes instantly, and helps boost blood circulation in the under-eye area.
- If you practice yoga, inverted asana postures are helpful (like the one below).
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday. We can’t stress this enough. If you do not drink at least eight glasses of water everyday, you are not providing your body with as much water as it requires for flushing out toxins. Do not wait until you are thirsty before drinking, by the time your body cries “I’m thirsty,” you are already severely dehydrated.
- Avoid beverages that contain caffeine.
- Avoid smoking and second hand smoke.
- Gently tap your skin where puffy, as this can encourage fluid build up to release and drain more easily.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners, as these can cause your body to retain more fluid. (So give up those diet drinks stat!!)
- Be sure you are getting at least 8 hours of sleep at night – too little sleep will lead to dark circles and puffiness.
Thank you for the wonderful tips, Monika! Odacité review coming soon.
Try out some of these tips this weekend and rejuvenate that delicate eye area! Happy Friday :)